Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Reaching Goals.






Goals have been the topic of discussion around me lately. Which got me to thinking what it takes to reach your goals. Once you graduate college people always want to know what's next? What are your plans? Where are you going and how will you get there?


Well... If you're anything like me your always mentally setting goals without even realizing it. It didn't take my graduation day for me to realize I needed to figure out a plan. No...my plan to be a dietitian began one night talking to one of best friends in our freshmen dorm. It's one of those vivid memories ...you know the kind where you can remember exactly how you felt in a way that makes it seem as if it just happened yesterday. It was the first time I allowed myself to admit that I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do with my life. Ironic right? I develop my future by admitting to myself that I have no idea what the hell I want to do. All I knew was that I didn't want to continue studying government and philosophy. It just wasn't right for me. I remember being terrified to not have a plan. I know a lot of people feel this way on graduation day...but I went through this my freshman year. I knew in order for me to focus and work hard I needed to have a goal in mind.


One of the great things about my friend Charlene and that night in my freshmen dorm was the dreams that came from it. If you don't have a friend you can tell crazy dreams and big plans to  you should go out and get one ASAP. Because when you start to say things out loud to another person they begin to become real.  Now that I graduated with my degree from UMD in dietetics and I received a dietetic internship I realize I owe a lot to that night. To allowing myself to change my mind. To allowing myself to dream. And to having a friend to dream with!




No comments:

Post a Comment