Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sleep..the Missing Link

This morning I got to do something I do not normally do. I slept in. After a pretty intense day filled with work at RBA, body sculpt, and  a six mile run. My mind and body were exhausted. I knew I wanted to wake up and hit an 8 mile run to get ready for the 10K I plan on running this Sunday but I knew the only way that would be possible would be to let myself sleep. Sleeping in felt AMMMMAZING so I decided to do some research on:


The importance of sleep and here's what I found ....

Many studies have found that a lack of sleep can cause an increase appetite. You know those days when you so exhausted and keep grubbing but never feel full? What's happening is a change in your hormone levels from a lack of sleep, specifically the hormones Ghrelin and Lepitin.  Ghrelin is a hormone produced in your GI track and when produced it sends the message to your brain telling it your hungry. Leptin sends the opposite message, its produced by fat cells and tells your brian "chill out i'm full".  Research found that restricting sleep suppresses Leptin and increases Grehlin which can lead to over eating and fatigue.

Sleep is also critical for learning and memory, a process called memory consolidation happens while we sleep.

So how much sleep is enough?! Most of the sources I read said somewhere between 7 and 8 hours is legit.

So after I got my sleep :)...I completed my 8 mile run on a rainy yucky morning. Then made some
Blueberry Vanilla Protein Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment