Thursday, March 8, 2012

I like my Caffeine via Coffee and Tea Please.

I love this time of year because each day the sun rises just a bit earlier and the prospect of a long morning run becomes more and more appealing. Unfortunately, I am the worst creature of habit and if I'm use to hitting the gym located conveniently 5 floors below that's what I do even when it's beautiful outside like today! BUT the good part about hitting the gym was the ab work I motivated myself to do after a 30 minute run:


  • Planks 60 minutes center, right and left 
  • bicycle 2 reps of 5 
  • reverse crunches 2 reps of 30 
  • push 2 resp of 25 
Not the most intense workout but I'm still proud of myself for doing something more than cardio :) 

For Breakfast: 

Emmy's Chocolate Orange Protein Oats with Coconut Shreds 
Emmy's is an awesome company that makes amazing raw organic products check um out ;) 




Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup old fashion oats 
  • 1 cup water 
  • 1 Emmy's chocolate orange macaroon 
  • 1 Tbsp coconut shreds 
  • 1 Tbsp slivered almonds 
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (makes the oats sweet and creamy :) 
Nutrition

  • Calories : 400 
  • Protein: 19 grams
  • Fiber: 9 grams 

Nutrition In the News: 

This morning as I'm drinking my second mug of green tea with breakfast I came across this article: 


I've never seen these before...and the concept is very strange  to me but apparently this company called Aeroshot   created a product that looks like lipstick but sprays 100 mg of caffeine instantly. The FDA just issued a warning to aeroshot for misleading product that claims to be both invaluable and digestible ...obviously it cannot be both. It's actually digestible.  





Personally, I do not think there is anything troublesome about 100mg of caffeine, many of us consume that dose in a large cup of coffee. HOWEVER,  what makes me concerned is 100 mg of caffeine instantly ingested. The important thing to remember is that products like this caffeine dispenser haven't been tested or regulated for safety. Like other supplements they are regulated by the manufacture that puts them out (can you smell a bias?) and they can cause serious health problems. I liked this video because it highlighted some of the same concerns that went through my mind: 



Please be careful and alert to the final decision the FDA makes on this product before using it! 

Happy Thursday! 

Love, 
Amy 

No comments:

Post a Comment