Friday, March 23, 2012

5 of My Favorite Spring Things

I think Spring might just be my new favorite time of year. When I was younger it was definitely summer because summer meant no school, my birthday and beach time. While I still LOVE summer for those reasons, recently so many things about spring time just make me so happy that it's kind of winning my heart so I thought I'd share my favorite things about spring...

1. Running outside + Taking a walk
 Over the winter I do most my running on the treadmill but when the weather starts to warm up I hit the streets. I think I fell in love with running because when I was younger I spent so much time playing outside smelling the morning air, seeing the beautiful flowers, and watching the birds, rabbits, ducks, and other animals but as I got older I stopped paying so much attention to the little things. But running allows me to take time and enjoy the little parts of nature I loved so much as a child.

 2. Plant something or visit a famers market and support thoes that do!
I am not a gardner BUT my dad is and I just saw Dr Suess's the Lorax with my baby cousins (that aren't such babies anymore) If your not familiar with that movie the take home message is that it's up to each and everyone of us to take care of the environment. There is just something very beautiful and pure about plants growing. Plants purify the air and it just feel good to put something in the ground and watch it grow. If your like me and don't have the greenest of thumbs hit the farmers market or try a window plant!

 3. Make a Smoothie 
I have seen smoothies popping up around the blog world but couldn't get my self to try one. UNTIL I this morning whenI got back from my morning 6 mile run dripping in sweat I decided there was nothing more I wanted then a cool creamy smoothie bowl Recipe below.



 4. Cooking out
If there's one thing in common with all the boys in my life it's that they love to grill. AND I love to take advantage their love for the grill by coming up with healthy new  things to put on the grill! For example the other night I had my dad grill a vegetable melody marinated in a little olive oil and lemon.
 5. Outdoor dates 
Instead of the movies or something traditional plan dates to your local park, mountain, or orchard where you can spend more time with your friends / date talking and enjoying each other + the weather. My friends and I love to go to sugar loaf mountain near my house climb to our favorite spot and sit and talk about life:) Sometimes just being outside seeing how beautiful things are makes whatever troubles you may have seem not so important.

My Green Monster Smoothie Bowl:

1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1Tbsp Peanut butter
1 Handful spinach
1/2 banana
3/4 cup almond milk
4 large ice cups

Topping
1/4 cup Kashi Go lean cereal
a sprinkle of sliced almonds


No comments:

Post a Comment